Cricket World Cup 2011: Interesting similarities
THE 2011 world cup final has two finalists who were considered to be favourites to make it to the finals. The match is historic in many senses.
1. It is the first time in 10 editions that two Asian countries are playing the final.
2. Both Sri Lanka and India have won the cup once, lost to Australia in the cup finals once, and are facing each other for first time in the final.
3. Sri Lanka bowling legend Muthaiah Muralitharan and Indian batting legend Sachin Tendulkar will be signing off in style their world cup campaigns for their respective countries.
4. It is the first time that the two finalist captains are both wicket keeper batsmen.
5. Both countries depend on one fast bowler and one main spinner to contain the opposition.
6. Both Murali and Sachin hold record for highest wickets taken and highest runs scored in the world – in both ODI and Test cricket respectively.
7. Both teams had same number of points and position in the points table in their respective groups during league stage of this world cup.
8. Three batsmen from both teams figure in top ten scorers in this world cup
The ICC 2011 world cup final thus has two finalists who are equal in many ways and have equal chance of winning. Sri Lanka was never tested by a strong opponent in the league stage or knock out stage of the tournament.
The only strong opponent they played was Pakistan and they lost that game. The other game against formidable Australia was washed out and hence there was no result. India has defeated both Pakistan and Australia from Sri Lanka group in the knock out stage.
Irrespective of who wins on Saturday, April 2, 2011, many historic moments are already associated with this game.